Click on the questions under each category for brief answers:
1. What are the educational exceptions to copyright?
- How are the three teaching exceptions related, and when does each apply?
- Where can I find more detail about applying these exceptions in the classroom?
2. How can I use other people’s copyrighted materials in teaching & research?
- Are there rules about what articles and other text I can scan myself and make available to students using my Sakai course management site?
- I have two journals articles that I want every student in my class to read. May I make enough copies for everyone and hand them out? What about putting them in the library’s e-Reserves system? The library subscribes to both journals from which the articles are taken?
- Students in my language class are doing performances of plays and recitals of poetry that are being recorded. May I place these recordings where students in the class can watch them repeatedly to enforce the learning? Can I put them on the open Web to showcase my students’ talent?
- Since I am allowed to show a video in class to my students, can I also put a digital version of the same film into my course Sakai site where enrolled students can watch at their convenience?
3. How can I deal with DRM protected materials?
- First things first, What is DRM?
- Are DRM systems really protected by law?
- Do all digital products have DRM protection?
- I want to make a copy of a film that is not DRM protected. May I?
- I want to make a copy of a film that has DRM protection. May I?
- What are the exceptions to the anti-circumvention rules that enforce DRM?
4. How do I manage the copyright in my own work?
- What do I have to do to get a copyright?
- Should I register my copyright?
- Do I have to give my copyright to a publisher?
- If my publication agreement transfers the copyright to my publisher, can I still use my own work?
- What rights should I retain when I publish my work?
- Can someone help me understand the publication agreement?
5. What should I know about how copyright and plagiarism relate?
- How is copyright related to plagiarism?
- What if I just take an idea from another source but do not copy the words?
- I am writing an encyclopedia article and want to cull some facts from earlier articles on the topic. I will also quote a few passages from the same sources. Is there a copyright problem?
- Where can I learn more about plagiarism?
6. What do institutional repositories and open access have to do with me?
Have other questions about copyright? Contact email@example.com.